Take Part in Building a Habitat for Humanity Home
Dates: September 24 - October 4, 2019
Location: Lot 4A –corner University City Boulevard and John Kirk Drive
The City of Charlotte is facing an affordable housing crisis. Every day, more and more families in Charlotte find themselves struggling to afford a roof over their heads. Unpredictable rent increases, stagnant wages, overcrowded living conditions and costly financing are all factors that keep many deserving families without proper shelter.
As North Carolina’s fastest growing university in the UNC System and Charlotte’s largest educational institution, UNC Charlotte has a responsibility to address this issue. The Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter at UNC Charlotte, under the advisement of Sean Langley, assistant director for Leadership and Community Engagement, and Dr. Scott Fitzgerald of the Sociology Department, plan to build a Habitat for Humanity home on the campus of UNC Charlotte starting the week of Fall 2019's Homecoming, Sept. 23-29.
To fulfill our mission, we hope to engage faculty, staff and students to serve as volunteers to build this home right on UNC Charlotte's campus. Building a Habitat for Humanity home is a meaningful and life-changing experience for all those involved.
For UNC Charlotte faculty, staff and students, this Habitat for Humanity Homecoming Build presents three invaluable opportunities:
- Unites our diverse UNC Charlotte community around a meaningful volunteer opportunity and continues to build a culture of community service.
- Raises awareness and fosters dialogue about the importance of affordable housing in our city.
- Showcases the University’s commitment to giving back to the Charlotte community, and Habitat for Humanity’s dedication to provide simple, decent, affordable housing to everyone.
Construction will take place on the UNC Charlotte campus at the corner of University City Boulevard and John Kirk Drive. The home will be moved to a permanent location after it is 50 percent complete. Volunteer groups will be split into two shifts each day, one during the morning from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM and one during the afternoon from 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM. The build will be closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Registration is a two part process. Please complete the following:
- Fill out this Google Form with your contact information and T-shirt size.
- To officially register for the Build, follow this link:
- Use group number: 770
- Select the checkbox for the UNC Charlotte Homecoming Build. Press Select.
- Search for the Volunteer Group Shift you are planning to attend.
- Check the appropriate shift and choose Select at the bottom of the page.
- Register as a New User with Habitat for Humanity or log in, if you already have an account.
- You will receive a confirmation email from Habitat for Humanity confirming your sign up.
Note: Every volunteer is required to complete both forms to work at the build site.
For any questions, please contact Sean Langley at email@example.com or at 704-687-0361.